My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Series: Book #8 in the Merry Gentry series
Published: December 8, 2009
Setting: Present Day, Los Angeles
Author Website: http://www.laurellkhamilton.org/
From page 240
“He held Saraid the rest of the way home, and in a way she held him right back, because sometimes and especially for a man, being able to be someone’s big strong shoulder to cry on helps you not need to cry so very much yourself. ”
This perfect example of one of the many universal truths that Laurell K. Hamilton weaves into her stories. While her settings are in fantasy and science fiction, there is always a connection to real human emotions. Sometimes it is that acknowledgement of weakness that we all have that make her characters so real and in turn help to make us braver in our own lives.
Learn about other books in this series:
Book #1: A Kiss of Shadows
- Published: October 3, 2000
- This first book sets the stage for how difficult it is to be an outsider. While Merry has lived in both the human and Faerie worlds, regardless of where she is she always knows that the other side of her heritage is with her.
Book #2: A Caress of Twilight
- Published: March 26, 2002
- Merry is now surrounded by royal guards who are there to protect and service her. They need to get her pregnant before her cruel cousin, Prince Cel, produces his own heir and claims the throne that rules Faerie.
Book #3: Seduced by Moonlight
- Published: January 3, 2004
- Merry’s power grows as she is surrounded by her royal guards. In this book an ancient relic comes to her. Though some are pleased as it must be a sign that the Goddess is still with Faerie, others are bitter that Merry, a half-breed (half mortal/half fey), would dare to rule the Sidhe.
Book #4: A Stroke of Midnight
- Published: February 1, 2005
- Merry investigates the murder of a fey and a reporter inside Faerie.
Book #5: Mistral’s Kiss
- Published: November 30, 2006
- As the title implies this is Merry and Mistral’s story. Merry still hasn’t conceived a child and if Prince Cel gains the throne her death is certain.
Book #6: A Lick of Frost
- Published: October 23, 2007
- Frost is the key hero in this book. Meanwhile King Taranis, ruler of Seelie Court, tries to get at Merry through her guards. Taranis has accused them of crime to the mortal authorities and if they are convicted they’ll be sent back to Faerie where Taranis will torture them.
Book #7: Swallowing Darkness
- Published: November 4, 2008
- All pretenses of hiding are gone. Merry is a Princess whether she is in Faerie or on mortal land. Her enemy list grows with each new gift from the Goddess. In this book Merry must match wits with Gilda, the Fairy Godmother, and self-proclaimed leader of fey in Los Angeles.
Book #8: Divine Misdemeanor
- Published: December 8, 2009
- Someone is killing the demi-fey and even though Merry has left Faerie again, she feels compelled to help the police find this murder. Meanwhile, Merry and her growing following must learn how to live in the real world.